Experimental Petrology and Mineralogy: phase relationships in metamorphic rocks and properties of rock- forming minerals/ fluids. In- situ high- pressure diamond- anvil techniques Geodynamic implications of pressure- temperature- deformation- time paths for metamorphic rocks in selected model regions (Caribbean area, Erzgebirge).
- Hawthorne, F.C., Oberti, R., Harlow, G.E., Maresch, W.V., Martin, R.F., Schumacher, J.C., Welch, M.D.: Nomenclature of the amphibole supergroup. American Mineralogist, 97: 2031-2048 (2012) [DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2138/am.2012.4276]
- Adeagbo, W.A., Doltsinis, N.L., Burchard, M., Maresch, W.V., Fockenberg T.: Ca2+ solvation as a function of p, T, and pH from ab initio simulation. Journal of Chemical Physics, 137: 124502 (2012) [DOI: 10.1063/1.4754129]
- Maresch, W.V., Grevel, C., Stanek, K.P., Schertl, H.-P., Carpenter, M.: Multiple growth mechanisms of jadeite in Cuban metabasite. European Journal of Mineralogy, 24: 217-235 (2012) [DOI: 10.1127/0935-1221/2012/0024-2179]
- Schertl, H.-P., Maresch, W.V., Stanek, K.P., Hertwig, A., Krebs, M., Baese, R., Sergeev, S.S.: New occurrences of jadeitite, jadeite quartzite and jadeite-lawsonite quartzite in the Dominican Republic, Hispaniola: Petrological and geochronological overview. European Journal of Mineralogy, 24: 199-216 (2012) [DOI: 10.1127/0935-1221/2012/0024-2201]
- Gross, J., Maresch W.V., Burchard, M., Schilling, K.: Development of new in situ mass-loss approaches for determining mineral solubility at high pressures and temperatures. Part I: Crystal volume computation method. European Journal of Mineralogy, 24: 97-106 (2012) [DOI: 10.1127/0935-1221/2012/0024-2168]
- Pindell, J., Maresch, W.V., Martens, U., Stanek, K.P.: The Greater Antillean Arc: Early Cretaceous origin and proposed relationship to Central American subduction mélanges: implications for models of Caribbean evolution. International Geology Review, v. 54, 131-143 (2012) [DOI: 10.1080/00206814.2010.510008]
- Krebs, M., Schertl, H.-P., Maresch, W.V., Draper, G.: Mass flow in serpentinite-hosted subduction channels: P-T-path patterns of metamorphic blocks in the Rio San Juan mélange (Dominican Republic). Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 42: 569-595 (2011) [DOI: 10.1016/j.jseaes.2011.01.011]
- Burchard, M., Maresch, W.V., Fockenberg, T., Doltsinis, N.L., Adeagbo, W.A.: Modelling high-pressure aqueous fluids in the system CaO–SiO2–H2O: A comprehensive semi-empirical thermodynamic formalism. European Journal of Mineralogy, 23: 409-424 (2011) [DOI: 10.1127/0935-1221/2011/0023-2106]
- Maresch, W.V., Urbani, F., Schertl, H.-P., Stanek, K. (2010): Subduction/accretion-related high-pressure rocks of Margarita Island, Venezuela. Field Guidebook, IGCP 546, Subduction zones of the Caribbean.
- E. DACHS, I.A. BAUMGARTNER, C. BERTOLDI, A. BENISEK & W.V. MARESCH: "Heat capacity and third-law entropy of kaersutite, pargasite, fluoropargasite, tremolite and fluorotremolite." – European J. Mineralogy, v. 22, 319-331 (2010) [DOI: 10.1127/0935-1221/2010/0022-2016]
- W.V. MARESCH, R. KLUGE, A. BAUMANN, J. PINDELL, G. KRÜCKHANS-LUEDER & K. STANEK: ”The occurrence and timing of high-pressure metamorphism on Margarita Island, Venezuela: A constraint on Caribbean-South America interaction.“ -- in: James, K.H., Lorente, M.A. & Pindell, J.L. (eds) The Origin and Evolution of the Caribbean Plate, Geological Society of London Special Publication, no. 328, 701-737 (2009).
- K.P. STANEK, W.V. MARESCH & J. PINDELL: “The geotectonic story of the northwestern branch of the Caribbean arc – implications from structural and geochronological data of Cuba.” – in: James, K.H., Lorente, M.A. & Pindell, J.L. (eds) The Origin and Evolution of the Caribbean Plate, Geological Society of London Special Publication, no. 328, 361-398 (2009).
- W.V. MARESCH, M.D. WELCH, M. GOTTSCHALK, W. RUTHMANN & M. CZANK: "Synthetic amphiboles and triple-chain silicates in the system Na2O-MgO-SiO2-H2O: phase characteristics, compositional relations and excess H" – Mineralogical Magazine, v. 73, 957-996 (2009)
- A.L. PERCHUK, M. BURCHARD, H.-P. SCHERTL, W.V. MARESCH, T.V. GERYA, H.-J. BERNHARDT & O. VIDAL: “Diffusion of divalent cations in garnet: multi-couple experiments.” – Contrib. Mineralogy Petrology, v. 157, 573-592 (2009) [DOI 10.1007/200410-008-0353-6].
- T. FOCKENBERG, M. BURCHARD & W.V. MARESCH: "The solubility of natural grossular-rich garnet in pure water at high pressures and temperatures." – Eur. J. Mineralogy, v. 20, 845-855 (2008).
- J. GROSS, M. BURCHARD, H.-P. SCHERTL & W.V. MARESCH: “Common high-pressure metamorphic history of eclogite lenses and surrounding metasediments: a case study of calc-silicate reaction zones (Erzgebirge, Germany)” -- Eur. J. Mineralogy, v. 20, 757-775 (2008).
- M. KREBS, W.V. MARESCH, H.-P. SCHERTL, A. BAUMANN, G. DRAPER, B. IDLEMAN, C. MÜNKER & E. TRAPP: "The dynamics of intra-oceanic subduction zones: A direct comparison between fossil petrological evidence (Rio San Juan Complex, Dominican Republic) and numerical simulation." -- Lithos, v. 103, 106-137 (2008) [doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2007.09.003]
- A.L. PERCHUK, M. BURCHARD, W.V. MARESCH & H.-P. SCHERTL: "Recycling of hydrous and carbonate mineral inclusions in garnet host under ultrahigh pressure conditions" – Lithos, v. 103, 25-45 (2008) [doi:10.1016/j.lithos.2007.09.008]
- W.V. MARESCH & M. CZANK: " The significance of the reaction path in synthesizing single-phase amphibole of defined composition." – Rev. Mineralogy and Geochemistry, v. 67, 287-322 (2007)
- C. GREVEL, W.V. MARESCH, K.-P. STANEK, F. GRAFE & S. HOERNES: "Petrology and geodynamic significance of deerite-bearing metaquartzites from the Escambray Massif, Cuba." – Mineralogical Magazine, v. 70, 527-546 (2006).
- T. FOCKENBERG, M. BURCHARD & W.V. MARESCH: "Experimental determination of the solubility of natural wollastonite in pure water up to pressures of 5 GPa and at temperatures of 400 - 800°C" – Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta, v. 70, 1796-1806 (2006)
- K.P. STANEK, W.V. MARESCH, F. GRAFE, C. GREVEL & A. BAUMANN: "Structure, tectonics and metamorphic development of the Sancti Spiritus Dome, eastern Escambray, Central Cuba." -- Geológica Acta, v. 4, 151-170 (2006) [DOI: 10.1344/105.000000362].
- W.V. MARESCH & T.V. GERYA: "Blueschists and blue amphiboles: How much subduction do they need?" – in J.G. Liou and Mark Cloos, Eds. Phase Relations, High-Pressure Terranes, P-T-ometry, and Plate Pushing: A Tribute to W.G. Ernst, , International Book Series, vol. 9, Bellwether Publ. Ltd. for the Geological Society of America. p. 23-37 (2006).
- J. PINDELL, L. KENNAN, W.V. MARESCH, K.-P. STANEK, G. DRAPER & R. HIGGS:"Plate-kinematics and crustal dynamics of circum-Caribbean arc-continent interactions: Tectonic controls on basin development in Proto-Caribbean margins, in Avé Lallemant, H.G., and Sisson, V.B. eds., "Caribbean–South American plate interactions, Venezuela: Geological Society of America Special Paper 394, p. 7–52 (2005).
- T.V. GERYA, W.V. MARESCH, M. BURCHARD, V. ZAKHARTCHOUK, N.L. DOLTSINIS & T. FOCKENBERG: "Thermodynamic modeling of solubility and speciation of silica in H2O-SiO2 fluid up to 1300 °C and 20 kbar based on the chain reaction formalism." – Eur. J. Mineralogy, v. 17, p. 269-283 (2005).
- T.V. GERYA, K.K. PODLESSKII, L.L. PERCHUK & W.V. MARESCH: "Semi-empirical Gibbs free-energy formulations for minerals and fluids for use in thermodynamic databases of petrological interest." – Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, v. 31, p. 429-455 (2004).
- T.V. GERYA, R. UKEN, J. REINHARDT, M.K. WATKEYS, W.V. MARESCH & B.M. CLARKE: "Cold fingers in a hot magma: Numerical modeling of country-rock diapirs in the Bushveld Complex, South Africa". – Geology, v. 31, p. 753-756 (2003)
- W.A. KAHL, W.V. MARESCH & M.D. WELCH: "Enthalpy of formation of pargasite by high-temperature solution calorimetry and heat capacity of pargasite and fluoropargasite by differential scanning calorimetry". – Eur. J. Mineralogy, v. 15, p. 617-628 (2003).
- A.P. WILLNER, E. SEBAZUNGU, T.V. GERYA, W.V. MARESCH & A. KROHE: "Numerical modelling of PT-paths related to rapid exhumation of high-pressure rocks from the crustal root in the Variscan Erzgebirge Dome (Saxony/Germany)". - J. Geodynamics, v. 33, p. 281-314 (2002)
- W.A. KAHL & W.V. MARESCH: "Enthalpies of formation of tremolite and talc by high temperature solution calorimetry - a consistent picture". - Am. Mineral., v. 86, p. 1345-1357 (2001)
- T.V. GERYA, W.V. MARESCH, A.P. WILLNER, D.D. VAN REENEN & C.A. SMIT: " Inherent gravitational instability of thickened continental crust with regionally developed low- to medium-pressure granulite facies metamorphism ". - Earth Plan. Sci. Lett., v. 190, p. 221-235 (2001).
- R. SCHUMACHER, K. RÖTZLER & W.V. MARESCH: "Subtle oscillatory zoning in garnet from regional metamorphic phyllites and mica schists, Western Erzgebirge, Germany". -- Can. Mineral., v. 37, p. 381-402 (1999).
- K. RÖTZLER, R. SCHUMACHER, W.V. MARESCH & A.P. WILLNER: "Characterization and geodynamic implications of contrasting metamorphic evolution in juxtaposed high-pressure units in the Western Erzgebirge (Saxony, Germany).“ -- Eur. J. Mineral., v. 10, p. 261-280 (1998).
- A.P. WILLNER, K. RÖTZLER & W.V. MARESCH: “Pressure-temperature and fluid evolution of quartzo-feldspathic metamorphic rocks with a relic high-pressure, granulite-facies history from the Central Erzgebirge (Saxony/Germany)“. -- Jour. Petrol., v. 38, p. 307-336 (1997).
- S. LIU, M.D. WELCH, J. KLINOWSKI & W.V. MARESCH: “A monoclinic/triclinic phase transition in amphibole: I. A solid-state NMR study“. -- Eur. J. Mineral., v. 8, p. 223-229 (1996)
- B. STÖCKHERT, W.V. MARESCH, M. BRIX, C. KAISER, R. KLUGE, G. KRÜCKHANS-LUEDER & A. TOETZ: “The crustal history of Margarita Island (Venezuela) in detail: A constraint on the Caribbean plate-tectonic scenario“. -- Geology, v. 23, p. 787-790 (1995)
- W.V. MARESCH, M. CZANK & W. SCHREYER: "Growth mechanisms, structural defects and composition of synthetic tremolite: What are the effects on macroscopic properties?. -- Contrib. Mineral. Petrol., v. 118, p. 297-313 (1994).
- E. VITEK & W.V. MARESCH: "Synthesis and stability relations of Li2Mg2[Si4O11]. -- Eur. J. Mineral., v. 5, p. 1121-1131 (1993)
- P. DANIELS, W.V. MARESCH, K. SAHL, W. SCHREYER: "Electron optical and X-ray diffraction studies on synthetic and natural potassic cordierites" -- Contr. Mineral. Petrol., v. 111, p. 484-492 (1992).
- W.V. MARESCH, G. MIEHE, M. CZANK, H. FUESS & W. SCHREYER: "Triclinic amphibole" -- Eur. J. Mineral., v. 3, p. 899-903 (1991)
- W. SCHREYER, W.V. MARESCH, P. DANIELS & P. WOLFSDORFF: "Potassic cordierites: characteristic minerals for high-temperature, very low-pressure environments" -- Contrib. Mineral. Petrol., v. 105, p. 162-173 (1990)
- S.A.T. REDFERN, E. SALJE, W.V. MARESCH & W. SCHREYER: "Powder diffraction and infrared study of the hexagonal-orthorhombic phase transition in K-bearing cordierite" -- Am. Mineral., v. 74, p. 1293-1299 (1989).
- C.M. GRAHAM, W.V. MARESCH, M.D. WELCH & A.R. PAWLEY: "Experimental studies on amphiboles: a review with thermodynamic perspectives" -- Eur. J. Mineral., v. 1, p. 63-83 (1989).
- W.V. MARESCH & M. CZANK: "Crystal chemistry, growth kinetics and phase relationships of structurally disordered (Mn2+,Mg)-amphiboles" -- Fortschr. Mineral., v. 66, p. 69-121 (1988).
- W.V. MARESCH, H.-J. MASSONNE & M. CZANK: "Ordered and disordered chlorite/biotite interstratifications as alteration products of chlorite" N. Jb. Miner. Abh., v. 152, p. 79-100 (1985).
- D.J. BEETS, W.V. MARESCH, G. KLAVER, A. MOTTANA, R. BOCCHIO, F.F. BEUNK & H.P. MONEN: "Magmatic rock series and high-pressure metamorphism as constraints on the tectonic history of the southern Caribbean" Geol. Soc. America Memoir, v. 162, p. 95-130 (1984).
- W.V. MARESCH & M. CZANK: "Problems of compositional and structural uncertainty in synthetic hydroxyl-amphiboles; with an annotated atlas of the Realbau" Per. Mineral., v. 52, p. 463-542 (1983).
- W.V. MARESCH & K. ABRAHAM: "Petrography, mineralogy, and metamorphic evolution of an eclogite from the Island of Margarita, Venezuela" Jour. Petrology, v. 22, p. 337-362 (1981).
- O. MEDENBACH, W.V. MARESCH, P.W. MIRWALD & W. SCHREYER: "Variation of refractive index of synthetic Mg-cordierite with H2O-content" Amer. Mineral., v. 65, p. 367-373 (1980).
- W.V. MARESCH: "Experimental studies on glaucophane: an analysis of present knowledge" Tectonophysics, v. 43, p. 109-125 (1977).
- W.V. MARESCH & K. LANGER: "Synthesis, lattice constants and OH-valence vibrations of an orthorhombic amphibole with excess OH in the system Li2O-MgO-SiO2-H2O" Contr. Mineral. Petrol., v. 56, p. 27-34 (1976).
- W.V. MARESCH & A. MOTTANA: "The pyroxmangite-rhodonite transformation for the MnSiO3 composition" Contr. Mineral. Petrol., v.55, p. 69-79 (1976).
- W.V. MARESCH: "The plate tectonic origin of the Caribbean Mountain System of northern South America: discussion and proposal" Geol. Soc. America Bull., v.85, p. 669 682 (1974).
- 1986 - Habilitation,Faculty of Earth Sciences, Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
in the field of "Mineralogy und Petrology". Thesis on Phase Petrological and Crystal Chemical Studies on Synthetic (Mn2+,Mg)-Amphiboles.
- 1972 Ph.D. in Geological and Geophysical Sciences, Princeton University, USA
Thesis on The Metamorphism and Structure of Northeastern Margarita Island, Venezuela with H.H. Hess, R.B. Hargraves, D. Waldbaum, L. Hollister.
- 1969 M.A. in Geological and Geophysical Sciences, Princeton University, USA
- 1966 Honours B.Sc. in Geology, University of Toronto, USA
Thesis on A Study of Growth Mechanisms in Pyrite Crystals with F.G. Smith
- Since 2009 Professor Emeritus
Ruhr-University Bochum. Germany
- 1996 - 2009 Full Professor for Mineralogy and Petrology
Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
- 1988 - 1996 Associate Professor for Petrography and Ore Geology
University of Muenster, Germany
- 1971 - 1988 Research Associate
Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
- 1970 – 1971 Teaching Assistant
Geological and Geophysical Sciences, Princeton University
- June – Sept. 1968; Sept. – Dec. 1969 Geologist with Ministerio de Minas e Hidrocarburos
- Oct. 1966 to March 1967 Geologist with Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Co. Ltd.
Uranium exploration near Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
- May-Sept. 1966 Assistant Geologist with Cominco Ltd.
Prospecting Pb-Zn occurrences near Marmorilik, West Greenland
- May-Sept. 1965 Assistant Geologist with The California Standard Co. of Canada Ltd.
Mapping and stratigraphic profiling in the Franklin und Mackenzie Mountains, N.W.T., Canada.
- May-Sept. 1964 Assistant Geologist with International Nickel Co. of Canada Ltd.
Prospecting for sulfide ores in New Quebec, Canada
- 2000 - 2004
Chairman and Vice-Chairman, Institute of Geology, Mineralogy and Geophysics, Ruhr-University Bochum
- 1996 – 2000
annually rotating position as Chairman, Institute of Mineralogy, Ruhr-University Bochum
- 1991 – 1992
Dean of the Faculty of Chemistry, University of Münster
- Since 2006
Member of Scientific Advisory Board, Faculty of Geosciences, Geography and Astronomy, University of Vienna
Member of Scientific Advisory Board, German Mining Museum of the Leibniz Association
- 1990 – 2009
member of the working group “Geoscience Research in Latin America” of the German Research Society (DFG)
- 2004 – 2009
Member of Advisory Board, Dynamitron-Tandem-Laboratorium/Zentrales Isotopenlabor, Ruhr-University Bochum
- 1996 – 2007
Member of the selection committee for fellowships, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 1991 – 1998
Trustee of the DFG Central Laboratory for Geochronology, University of Münster
- 2010 – 2012
First Vice-President of the International Mineralogical Association
- 2012 - 2014
President of the International Mineralogical Association
- 2009 - 2013
Chair of the IMA Medal Committee, International Mineralogical Association
- 2005 – 2010
Councilor of the International Mineralogical Association
- 1999 – 2003
President and Vice-President of the German Mineralogical Association
- 2005 – 2006
Member of Financial Advisory Committee, Mineralogical Society of America
- 2004 – 2006
Member of Nominating Committee for Officers, Mineralogical Society of America
- Honorary Member of The Russian Mineralogical Society
- Emeritus Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Fellow of the Mineralogical Society of America
- Fellow of the Geological Society of America
- 2003 - 2009
Honorary Member of the University of Liége, Belgium
- Associate Member of the Society of the Sigma Xi, Princeton Chapter
- 1968 – 1969
Canadian Alumni Fellow, Princeton University
- 1967 – 1968
University Fellow, Princeton University
Mobil Oil Scholarship
Schumacher Scholarship in Geology
J. Tuzo Wilson Summer Sessions Scholarship
Ontario Scholar (awarded to ~2% of ~ 35,000 Ontario High School Graduates)
- Since 2007 Member of Editorial Board, Russian Geology and Geophysics
- 1999 - 2012 Member of Managing Committee European Journal of Mineralogy
- 1991 – 1999 Chief Editor European Journal of Mineralogy
- 1988 – 1991 Associate Editor European Journal of Mineralogy
- 1986 – 1995 Assistant Editor Journal of Petrology